Lightbulb My first ever build. An XS250. Well one and a half of them technically.

This is my first time posting on The Shed, my first ever bike build, and my first ever bike (well, road bike).
    I've been riding motocross since I was a kid, and always have loved motorbikes, especially old ones. I used to ride on the back of my dads Triumph Hurricane X-75, which I absolutely fell in love with, even if the three pipes on one side used to melt by boot soles. He sold it a few years ago, and I was heartbroken.

Aaaaanyway, I bought an '04 XR125 a few years ago, did bugger all with it, sold it a year later. Bought a house (not for the same price I can assure you), spent 6 months fixing that up, and then found myself with a spare time. I started looking at bike projects, which is when I found the Bike Shed. I wanted a custom of my own.

After poking around our favourite online auction site, I bought an xs250, for £200. Completely out of impulse. Turns out it was a complete bag of sh*te. The bloke had done all kinds of frame mods to it, that left it completely out of shape, the carbs were fouled, the welding looking like bird sh*t, and the engine was covered in Ronseal. So I bought another one, half of one, from Leeds for £100.

I have tried a few things before getting my head together, doing research, and doing things properly.

I've attached a few pics from the very start of the build back in Jan. The BSA tank is off a 1971 BSA B50 SS, which I got for free from my uncle. The handlebars are from a Honda S90, with a built in internal throttle.

More pictures on my Instagram: WaddyWadsworth
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gunky Carbs Refurb

Although it seem backwards, one of the first things I did was a carb refurb. I think its because it was a nice little chunk of the bike, that I could take off and deal with on its own.
    The BS32s that I took off the first bike were minging. Although the V5 says 11,000 miles, it must have been 11k of knee high dog sh*t, ronseal, and a chain smokers phlegm, because the engine and carbs were gunked up!

Despite having never taken a carb apart before, I managed quite well, at working out which were the bits that were buggered, which were ok, and how to get them looking all new again.

I stripped then all down and make my own homemade 'ultrasonic cleaner'. I think the term 'sonic cleaner' is more accurate, as there are nothing ultra about it. Its a mop bucket filled with hot water, engine degreaser, and a vibrating sander gaffer taped to the side. It was a bit of a long shot but bugger me it worked! All the brass bits were super shiny, and the bottom of the bucket was rank.

Took the carbs to NRP Carbs in Manchester, and got new gaskets and bigger main jets, went and bouugth new stainless bolts and put them all back together. Haven't a bloody clue if they work well yet, and I finished the refurb in Jan! Fingers crossed aye.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great Start Waddy.
    I like the look of those USD forks. They visually add weight to the front of the bike!
    NICE!

Thanks mate. You'll be sad to know I've ditched that idea until the next build. Going simple as possible on this one. Two reasons:
    1) It's my first, lets keep is achievable
    2) I love the really simple classic look of the tank, and it was dwarfed by the beastly forks.

Keeping it 70s this time pal.

Thanks for the comment!

Cool. Welcome to the first timers club!

excellent work on the carbs. And I love the sonic cleaner idea.

Here's a quick vid of the 'ultrasonic' cleaner in action. Here's the link.

https://instagram.com/p/x_4gW4otYi/

Thanks!

Ok, time for quick lunchtime update. I haven't fully caught up with my progress.

Seat Pan and Battery Tray!

After getting the frame dims how I wanted it, and the bike giving me a nice flat line, it was time to make my arse resting plate. Pretty much the first ever bit of fabrication I've ever done. It turned out alright, made a cardboard template, cut out a piece of metal and spent a trillion hours filing it.
    20150219_204952.jpg

I had to beat it into shape a bit but it came out nice, and fits like a tailored glove.
    20150226_200643.jpg20150226_210218.jpg

Fell in love with the clean shape!

20150226_210052 22.jpg

Good stuff fella. note to self, must stop putting ronseal on engine

I like the light on that a lot. I had the same as a reversing lamp on a old Mini Cooper mounted through the boot skin (the bracket was obv different).

I'll do my best to keep the bike away from wood preserver.
    thanks. Me too. I think the little chrome nipped in the front gives it a beautiful little detail. I'm thinking of tinting the glass yellow. Does anyone know either a) if it's legal and b) the best way to do it. Glass paint or film wrap?

I will catch up to where I'm at soon!
    Sent the tank away for painting, should be done in about 3 weeks.
    Engine rebuild starts this weekend, and a few more little tabs to make.

Just realized that I haven't put up any pics of the TITANIUM battery tray.
    IMG-20150331-WA0000.jpg

And fitted behind the hidden rectifier and coils.
    20150419_183347.jpg

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast