Thread: Honda CG125 project

Honda CG125 project

So, this is going to be the place where I document the process of my 1999 CG125 project from start to finish over the next... while. I'm 17, going into my final year of school before uni, and am doing all the work in my family's garage on a small budget.
    Hopefully during this build I'll pick up the skills to do with with bike building and learn how a bike is put together and how it all works, and to come out with a great looking, functional bike. Hopefully.

So, here's my bike as I got it. It cost about £400 off eBay (and that's with the previous owner throwing in his leathers and a tank bag) and runs fine apart from spongy brakes and a broken running light. Despite this, a lot of parts are rusted, and the styling generally looks terrible :') so I'm gonna take it apart, clean everything up, get rid of a lot of things and build it up like a little brat style/street tracker. Nothing too shouty, just a clean, simple understated bike for a 17 year old to ride around town on.

IMG_1187.jpgIMG_1188.jpgIMG_1189.jpgIMG_1190.jpgIMG_1191.jpg

Alright for 400 quid mate👍 looking forward to seeing your build.

Go for it Joe. You can't fail for £400.

Keep it simple, get it on the road and enjoy riding it.

Nice one, get on it mate.

I'm Lancashire/Cheshire based. My company is in Atherton, so give us a shout if you need any help or owt!

Thanks for the support!

I've now taken off the side panels, seat, rear bodywork, rear lights/number plate holder, chain guard and rear fender (and the exhaust, but thats for another post) and the bike looks completely different! Next I'm gonna take mirrors/controls/grips off the front so I can take the handlebars off and get some lower rise, tracker style bars on.

I'm not sure whether to keep the tank and remove the tabs where the side panels attached to, or to sell it and try to find a new tank that I can make fit for a reasonable price.
    Also, I'm debating how to disguise the battery and airbox. I really don't want to try to relocate the battery under the seat or whatever, cos I don't want to give myself wiring problems, but I could replace the airbox with a pod filter. I was thinking attempting covers that would look a bit like the airbox on a triumph (http://s.hswstatic.com/gif/1970-triu...ger-650-01.jpg) or easier flat ones like here (http://www.hccbike.com/wp-content/up...0-Final-12.jpg) or even mesh.

_DSC2933.jpg_DSC2934.jpg_DSC2935.jpg_DSC2989.jpg
    Last edited by averagejoseph; 26th-08-2015 at 09:35 PM.

http://thebikeshed.cc/2013/11/25/kruz-cos-xs400/

Kruz Co built an xs400 tracker, and made some simple aly panels to cover things like the battery and circuitry etc. Would be a nice and simple way to get the custom look without a major overhaul.
    Have a gander.

Quote Originally Posted by Waddy View Post
    http://thebikeshed.cc/2013/11/25/kruz-cos-xs400/

Kruz Co built an xs400 tracker, and made some simple aly panels to cover things like the battery and circuitry etc. Would be a nice and simple way to get the custom look without a major overhaul.
    Have a gander.
    Yeah I was thinking about that, but looking at my bike today ive realised the airbox sticks out, so I can't have a flat cover if I keep it. Although I'm probs gonna go down the pod filter route...

So. After taking the exhaust off and giving it a clean ive realised it wont "clean up with a bit of hard work", instead it's badly rusted and the chrome is scratched. Now I think i'll chop the silencer part off, VHT paint or wrap the header and attach a megaphone. All that should be about the same price as a new CG125 exhaust, and it should sound and look better!

Some before and afters
    _DSC2928.jpg_DSC2929.jpg ^Before _DSC2937.jpg ^After

The effort is noticeable.
    But yeh change to pods, up size your main jet and then you can make some flat panel covers with whatever detailing you want.

I'd lose the tank and put something more cafe racer-ish on there

Definitely change the tank !

The front mudguard looks like it will cut down nicely too.

Nice work so far !

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast