Thread: CG125 Tracker: Ultimate Newbie Build

Internal? Not that I saw when changing the clutch but being inexperienced I easily could have missed it if there is, thanks for mentioning, I'll look into it, maybe the Haynes manual will mention it.

Ta

Not had time to sort the clutch yet but I've been having a really wonderfully enjoyable time trying to get insurance quotes and had to take some pictures. Got them on a better camera than my usual one so figured I'd post them up here 👍
    IMG-20170405-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20170405-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20170405-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20170405-WA0004.jpg

Hey Kwame. After fitting Renthal handlebars, I had to shorten the throttle cable using a copper ferrule and a soldering iron. The clutch cable is standard, but does bulge out a little in places, but I managed to get the adjustment okay.

In terms of gears, the first thing to check is the engine oil viscosity and level as this is what lubes the gears. Make sure it is the right type and filled to the top as this will affect how the gears select. I'm usin Silkolene Pro 4 at the mo and the gears seem okay. Have you changed the oil and what did you use?

After that, I'm afraid it sounds like you may have issues with the selector.... sorry mate.

Also, make sure the chain tension is correct.

On a positive, your bike is looking great!

Ps - have you checked the the gear selector pedal mount for worn splines or damage? If the bike was Cat C it could have been affected maybe?

Wow that's looking great! Good to hear you passed the MoT

One question, did your bike come with a centre stand or side stand? The spring keeps flying off my centre stand due to a slightly broken stud, and I'm contemplating getting one of those sets of footpegs with a side stand on them and somehow removing the centre stand...

Quote Originally Posted by scott_fury View Post
    Hey Kwame. After fitting Renthal handlebars, I had to shorten the throttle cable using a copper ferrule and a soldering iron. The clutch cable is standard, but does bulge out a little in places, but I managed to get the adjustment okay.

In terms of gears, the first thing to check is the engine oil viscosity and level as this is what lubes the gears. Make sure it is the right type and filled to the top as this will affect how the gears select. I'm usin Silkolene Pro 4 at the mo and the gears seem okay. Have you changed the oil and what did you use?

After that, I'm afraid it sounds like you may have issues with the selector.... sorry mate.

Also, make sure the chain tension is correct.

On a positive, your bike is looking great!

Ps - have you checked the the gear selector pedal mount for worn splines or damage? If the bike was Cat C it could have been affected maybe?
    Yeah, my throttle and clutch cables both have a lot of excess, I really don't want to chop them as last time I tried I completely fucked it up and couldn't even fathom how I could possibly do it without creating loads of splintering that'd eventually knacker the cable... but if it needs to be done then it needs to be done.

Engine oil is Halfords own but is the correct spec. I have a bunch of that same silkolene stuff but I'm gonna run the Halfords stuff through every once in a while to clean it out and then put the good stuff in.

I just fitted two new sprockets and a new chain. The issue was happening before that but I'll sort the tension and test ride hopefully this Saturday.

I'm guessing the gear selector will be a big job to investigate or fix? I'm yet to learn anything about the bottom half of the engine so I'm still a noob in that department.

Thanks a lot, these photos are the best I've got yet.

And, I've had the gear lever off enough times to assume the splines are fine but I'll stay aware of that as a possible issue, ta.

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoseph View Post
    Wow that's looking great! Good to hear you passed the MoT

One question, did your bike come with a centre stand or side stand? The spring keeps flying off my centre stand due to a slightly broken stud, and I'm contemplating getting one of those sets of footpegs with a side stand on them and somehow removing the centre stand...
    Thank you very much, took two tries but all minor issues.

Yeah, it did have a centre stand but it had a huge crack and bend on one side, presumably from a crash, so when I finally got round to completely striping it to pieces I just angle grinded it off. I THINK it's supposed to be removable, but if it is, 20 years of rust had seized it up so the angle grinder was the only way to get it off.

Mine came with both, do your foot pegs not have the bracket for a side stand?

Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233