Thread: Super Cheap Speedo, Worth A Punt?

Super Cheap Speedo, Worth A Punt?

Just looking for a couple of thoughts here.

Would a speedo like this be worth a go?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle...IAAOSw3KFWd6Gs

You can get a very similar one from Dime City Cycles, in MPH which is a plus, that would obviously stand a much higher chance of working but it's around 90 pounds...

Those who have been through this, is this another situation where you just have to bite the bullet in regards to the more expensive items?

If any of the other guys doing CG125 builds see this, what speedos are you using on your own builds?

I have a very similar one, brand new and not been used on my build as I have gone digital, you are welcome to have it.
    Likewise if you do want a Dime City one and want to save some money, I am currently in Florida on hols, and plan later in the week to do a visit to Dime City with a long shopping list of parts for my own build, making the most of no shipping cost or import tax. Not that the missus knows yet, neither do she know about the three days Harley hire already booked and paid.
    Anyway let me know, happy to help either way.

for that price it might well be worth a punt.

Have a look on Amazon for mini speedos got mine for £40ish. Solid well made easy to fit and pretty universal fittings

Bloddy hell that is cheap!
    You know the old saying "you get what you pay for"
    I'd be wary of buying from China though.
    But for less than 9 quid all in maybe it is worth a punt
    Although cake-face's offer sounds even more appealing

Thanks for all the input guys, I've PM'd Cake-Face about his very generous offers.

Speedos are really annoying, theyre all either really cheap kmh ones with warning lights, really cheap mph ones without warning lights, or £50-100 mph ones with warning lights.
    Im pretty sure ill need warning lights (neutral, indicators, full beam) for the mot as mines a 1999 bike, and I think kph is a problem because the cable is set up to be put into a mph speedo but im not sure (this made me think http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Speedo-Con...AAAOSwmmxW5d2M)

I could be wrong, but I believe you only need indicator warning lights if you can't see the front indicators when you're riding.

Might not be relevant, just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoseph View Post
    Speedos are really annoying, theyre all either really cheap kmh ones with warning lights, really cheap mph ones without warning lights, or £50-100 mph ones with warning lights.
    Im pretty sure ill need warning lights (neutral, indicators, full beam) for the mot as mines a 1999 bike, and I think kph is a problem because the cable is set up to be put into a mph speedo but im not sure (this made me think http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Speedo-Con...AAAOSwmmxW5d2M)
    You've just summed up exactly my frustrations from hours of scrawling through search results. It really is a pain in the arse. Prior to this thread my answer was to buy a cheap kph one with the warning lights, but if they're incompatible then that too would be a no go.
    If you want, like me, a matte black casing, in mph, with warning lights, I think you honestly do just have to bite the bullet on the expensive speedo.

Also, for the price of that converter you may aswell just get a super expensive speedo, it'll probably end up a similar price.

Being cable driven, you really need to what the reduction ratio is. For example is this calibrated to run on a mini bike with 12" wheels or a larger bike with 17 / 18" wheels - different manufacturers use different ratios in their speedo drives too.

Best bet is to buy a speedo which uses a Hall effect sensor (like a bicycle speedo) that counts the wheel revolutions which you can then calibrate to your particular wheel & tyre combo at least you know you can set it to be halfway accurate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast