Thread: Olsfaer's CG 125 - Breakdown Brenda

Olsfaer's CG 125 - Breakdown Brenda

Good afternoon folks!

Finally I have a day where I can share my bike and progress but first a little history.

I purchased Breakdown Brenda during a quarter life crisis. I was in a dead end job and needed to get out. So my bonus got paid out, I got myself a neat little bike!

A week later I took my test and was ready to hit the road - Europe for 6 months!

For the first 2 weeks, my Dad and brother joined me across France and into Switzerland.
    Here's a photo of us the evening we set of from the UK:

10389649_612681508830520_8697167564081812284_n.jpg
    10441210_10154260532095223_4169150603743852235_n.jpg

From then on, I was on my own. No set destination, just me, my bike and the road.

Some days it was tough, I had a really basic 1 man tent from Tesco which cost me a fiver - this was my home for some nights. I would have to push the bike out of sight into some woods so not to be disturbed / moved on. Living on basic provisions like tins of beans and instant coffee.

I made a point of avoiding the motorways. You see so many more interesting sights that way!

Before is tart with the build I'd like to share some of my favourite pictures from the trip in no particular order:

1235242_10154648054085223_8167840709807741687_n.jpg1970630_10154622039865223_4544287389986588745_n.jpg10151767_10154617798380223_2435491964079631707_n.jpg

Looks awesome dude. How did it fair with you on the trip? Much trouble?

I graduate uni in a year so heading out to India to meet up with a few mates, plan on getting there on my rebuilt CG.

The Polizei don't look to happy. Haha.

She did fine!
    Took quite a lot of abuse and just kept going. The main issue was the teeth in the rear sprocket rounding off when the chain slipped due to the immense weight. Probably needed to tighten the chain periodically looking back so had to replace that in Germany. Fuel consumption was good and speed was around 50 mph everywhere.

I should probably mention that I took a spare helmet to pick up various randomers I met on my adventure. Made it a lot less lonely and have made some friends for life!

Cool story.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

Great base for a build with all the history

Wow that looks like an amazing trip! I've recently really been wanting to do something like that, shame I didn't take a gap year. Oh and its also great to see you did it on a CG!

Your trip looks amazing, well worth the effort to bank a good trip, especially as you did it freehand with no set plan. Tales you'll keep forever I know. The spare helmet was a good thought.

What was the Police interest, tyre wear or something by the looks?

Now what's the plan for the CG?

Quote Originally Posted by hondabrat550 View Post
    Your trip looks amazing, well worth the effort to bank a good trip, especially as you did it freehand with no set plan. Tales you'll keep forever I know. The spare helmet was a good thought.

What was the Police interest, tyre wear or something by the looks?

Now what's the plan for the CG?
    The police were actually life savers!

While in Austria we had some really bad issues with the rear sprocket and tore our rear inner tube. We were stranded in a seasonal village (no one lived there during the summer months, it was a ski resort).

I had no breakdown cover and no spare tubes. So the only thing we could do was call the Police up from a police phone on the side of a pert-time police station. The operator seemed a little confused but they dispatched a car and those two stern looking blokes got out - asked if we were okay and then were interested in why we called. After they saw there was no emergency they were so chilled and wanted to help. It was Sunday and the local garage was closed so they dragged the owner out of the pub and drove us and the wheel down the mountain to the next village. There they arranged to have our tube replaced, drove us back up the mountain (about 40 min drive) and refitted the wheel for us. They saw the chain was a little dry so dug around the station for some oil and returned with oil from their machineguns!

No idea what was in it but it sure did the trick! They waved us on our way and cost next to nothing - absolute legends!

Next the CG is going to be restored in the style of the original 1980 version - just waiting for my welder to arrive!