Thread: 1983 Honda CB125 Cafe Racer Build!

1983 Honda CB125 Cafe Racer Build!

Hi everyone,first post here. So a brief introduction. Im 19 and have been on my Sinnis (yeah it's Chinese) for over a year now and really enjoy riding and playing about on it.

I recently got my hands on this 1983 Honda CB125 frame, tank, swing arm, back wheel, shocks, and end can as i want to attempt doing a cafe racer build and got a great deal on this lot so i bought it. this will be my first build so will be taking in all the advice given to me. iv'e got a long way to go but ill hopefully be getting a donor bike soon so that should help with a few of the parts.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the project.

Thanks,

- Jez

Greetings. Looks like you got yourself a project there Jez.

The subframe area looks like it's been chopped, so a bit of work there to stiffen it up again as the top shock mounts are reliant on strength in that area. Also, the swingarm doesn't look to be stock, too square and too long for the year I think, the angle of the shock is too steep and it's upside down?

Good luck and keep posting images of your progress.
    Last edited by hondabrat550; 6th-12-2016 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hondabrat550 View Post
    Greetings. Looks like you got yourself a project there Jez.

The subframe area looks like it's been chopped, so a bit of work there to stiffen it up again as the top shock mounts are reliant on strength in that area. Also, the swingarm doesn't look to be stock, too square and too long for the year I think, the angle of the shock is too steep and it's upside down?

Good luck and keep posting images of your progress.
    Hi There HB,

can I call you HB? I’m gonna call you HB. Yeah it certainly is a project. This is the swing arm the guy gave me and it seems to fit well. He also threw in the shocks as well but ill most likely be buying new shocks as restoring these ones looks like more trouble than there worth unless the shocks on the donor bike are any good so I’ll have to see. Yeah the previous owner chopped off the back as he was planning on doing a cafe Racer before it got stolen, I’ll most likely weld on a frame hoop thing and then a support bracket in place which I’ll try and match up with the seat mounts when I decide what seat I’m going for. I realized they were upside down after I took the picture but only put them on as a mock up so wasn't really thinking properly.

-Jez

I like that you've started from so little, gives you a huge amount of freedom to do things differently.

Looking forward to seeing this develop... I just stripped down a 1973 CB125 which I'm doing a quick rebuild on. They're a great little bike, plus they're perfect for building indoors - my dining room is now a garage / paint booth. Try doing that with a Goldwing!*

*I've tried that with a Goldwing. Doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by howardhughes View Post
    Looking forward to seeing this develop... I just stripped down a 1973 CB125 which I'm doing a quick rebuild on. They're a great little bike, plus they're perfect for building indoors - my dining room is now a garage / paint booth. Try doing that with a Goldwing!*

*I've tried that with a Goldwing. Doesn't work.
    Haha really? cool let me know how its going as your build continues.

Okay so a bit of an update, iv'e cut off everything i don't need like the rear pegs and a helmet holder which needed a key but i don't have the keys and didn't really want it as im going for a clean look if that makes sense. Here's a pic i took while cutting off the pegs i might be able to post some stills from a video i took in a day or two.

cutting off pegs.jpg

Great to see another guy my age working on a CG! Its a great first project bike, ive had great fun (and a decent amount of pain) working on it and its been a brilliant challenge to take on.

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoseph View Post
    Great to see another guy my age working on a CG! Its a great first project bike, ive had great fun (and a decent amount of pain) working on it and its been a brilliant challenge to take on.
    Thank's man. i checked out your build, looks great. iv'e got a long way to go but hopefully getting a donor bike soon so i can use the parts from that.

so a little update I was in Selco and saw these aluminium "L" sections and figure if I got two and overlapped the long bits I could then trim and fold in the ends and rivet it together to make a battery box for my CB125 which would cost just under £3 and because its aluminium it won't rust. Thoughts?

15541887_1353087784734464_582149524772994297_n.jpg

15542348_1353087778067798_8876394607301157249_n.jpg

Okay so haven't done much on the bike recently until i got the donor bike so im going to be using the parts from that. i still need to get the bearing cups out oh the frame but apart from that the rest of the parts will probably go up for sale on eBay or something. Im going to get my friend to help tinker with it and make sure it's all okay to start up. iv'e also ordered a set of 4 Pod filters, i only need 2 (one for my main bike and one for this project) so will probably sell the extra 2 or keep them as spare.

15871968_1371203319589577_5414127937619756847_n.jpg

15941285_1371203289589580_593230881311495957_n.jpg

That's a nice start. There are lots of small capacity builds on here so I'm sure you will be able to find any information you need! Quite a few builds by us youngens on here now too! haha

What are your general plans for it?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast