Thread: 1983 Honda CB125 Cafe Racer Build!

Shaping your own hoop will be interesting. P/coating was a bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by hondabrat550 View Post
    Shaping your own hoop will be interesting. P/coating was a bargain.
    Yeah but I have a rough idea of how I'm going to do it. And yeah once the frame loop is welded on and any other bits that need doing I'll send it off to get P/coated.

Staying tuned for shaping your own seat hoop. Tried it myself, didn't turn out well, would like to see how you do it if you pull it off

Quote Originally Posted by Kwame-Flip View Post
    Staying tuned for shaping your own seat hoop. Tried it myself, didn't turn out well, would like to see how you do it if you pull it off
    Yeah if I pull it off. How did you do yours. I have a few ideas. I need to get all the fabrication done before Friday when it goes off for powder coat.

I made a wooden jig with one piece of wood cut to the shape I wanted the hoop to be, then screwed a larger piece on top to hold the pipe in place while bending it.
    I filled the pipe with sand and plugged it up.
    Then, heat the metal, stick it in the jig and bend the thing 👍 worked for a little bit, then went to pot. I think the main issue may have been not being able to get the pipe hot enough, I only had a blow torch. We got it glowing orange but I don't think it was enough.

IMAG0215_1.jpg

IMAG0216_1.jpg

I can't say for sure because I've never formed a tube this way only solid bars but in my experience when forming something around a jig like that I'd say that your placement of heat is crucial. You need to heat the pipe/bar to the point where it just starts to glow where you want it to bend, then with gentle pressure, (as in not swinging on the pipe) move the heat around the jig as you bend. This may be a problem with a wooden jig 🙈
    I've done this in the past and if you still have a lot of heat behind the point your bending you to tend to pull it and it kinks and cones away from the jig. Hope this makes sense and helps a little 👍🏻

Quote Originally Posted by Pinky's Customs View Post
    I can't say for sure because I've never formed a tube this way only solid bars but in my experience when forming something around a jig like that I'd say that your placement of heat is crucial. You need to heat the pipe/bar to the point where it just starts to glow where you want it to bend, then with gentle pressure, (as in not swinging on the pipe) move the heat around the jig as you bend. This may be a problem with a wooden jig 🙈
    I've done this in the past and if you still have a lot of heat behind the point your bending you to tend to pull it and it kinks and cones away from the jig. Hope this makes sense and helps a little 👍🏻
    From my experience, that sounds spot on. We had to keep pulling the pipe out of the jig to heat it, then put it back, bend a little etc in order to not burn the jig to a crisp.

try seller "oneoff welding and engineering" on ebay.

absolutely top bloke and will produce pretty much anything, fast and cheap. I'm a big fan of DIY, but when something is such a pain in the arse to do at home, but easy to farm out, I'll make an exception.

I have a mandrel bender in work and I'm not trying to start a business but if you send me a drawing then I could check the die sizes I have and material and I could probably make you one. I wouldn't normally say it but seems quite a small community in here so I shouldn't be getting millions of messages 👍🏻

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123