Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Seat Foam, Tips and Resources? - The Bikeshed Forums

Thread: Seat Foam, Tips and Resources?

Seat Foam, Tips and Resources?

Hello,

So, my build thread has been quiet for a little while now. I'm still cracking on, it's just been small bits here and there not worth updating it for, oh and Christmas preparation has been slowing me down slightly.

Currently, I'm making seat pan no.2 (No.1 went well but warped when I welded the bolts into it as the metal was too thin), once I've smoothed it all out I'll need to attach and shape the seat foam. At the moment, I don't really know what to buy.

My current requirements are that it must be closed cell, and that I'll need two types; a firmer one for a base layer and a softer one for the top.

So, has anyone made a good seat that they're happy with and is comfy?
    If so, do you have links for places to buy foam?

I've done maybe an hour or so looking around online and I'm yet to see anything that strikes me as what I need. There's a lot of people selling race seat foam but I'm really not gonna be racing anywhere.

I have considered buying one of those camping/yoga mats for the base layer as they're firm and are closed cell, but I'll still need to find something for the softer top layer.

If anybody has any advice or any links to products it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Check out Sir Higgy Pop's excellent seat build info on these very pages !

I made my own alloy seat base and then cut down the Honda foam using an electric carving knife to the rough shape I wanted, I then used 40-80 grit paper to smooth it off.

I removed approx 50% of the stock height and width to suit the new slimmer base.

As I was using leather for the cover, I needed closed cell to add a water proof TOP layer as the leather/stitching would not be waterproof. A cheap (£3-4 ebay) yoga mat, in cerise, was easy to cut and glue to the foam.

I used h/d spray glue, as well as a can of Evostik which was much better, avoid the cans if possible.

I then dispatched it off to the pro upholsterer who told me the material edging/gripper I planned to use wasn't necessary as he would glue the edge down. He used two pop rivets to hold the front fold.

Here's my thread page: http://thebikeshed.cc/forums/threads...budget!/page22

The finished article -

Electric carving knife is the way to go for cutting the foam but do take care with it as they also cut fingers/children/pets quite effectively too That's as far as I ever successfully reached with seat mods as I then discovered that getting the cover to fit neatly and look good proved to be way more difficult than I thought so I gave up and used a proper upholsterer-should have done that in the first place really as he wasn't even that expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by gaz View Post
    Check out Sir Higgy Pop's excellent seat build info on these very pages !
    Thank you for that, that thread is an absolute life saver. I'm still fucking about trying to sort foam but that answers a lot of questions for the upholstery part of it. And now I know how to put that tubing round the edge too.

Quote Originally Posted by hondabrat550 View Post
    I made my own alloy seat base and then cut down the Honda foam using an electric carving knife to the rough shape I wanted, I then used 40-80 grit paper to smooth it off.

I removed approx 50% of the stock height and width to suit the new slimmer base.

As I was using leather for the cover, I needed closed cell to add a water proof TOP layer as the leather/stitching would not be waterproof. A cheap (£3-4 ebay) yoga mat, in cerise, was easy to cut and glue to the foam.

I used h/d spray glue, as well as a can of Evostik which was much better, avoid the cans if possible.

I then dispatched it off to the pro upholsterer who told me the material edging/gripper I planned to use wasn't necessary as he would glue the edge down. He used two pop rivets to hold the front fold.

Here's my thread page: http://thebikeshed.cc/forums/threads...budget!/page22

The finished article -
    Thanks for the tips, your seat is really well done. Mine's not going to be shaped like yours, just flat, but I really want to try adding a diamond stitch on the top surface.

The open cell vs closed cell question is what's been making this search for foam so difficult. In order to do the diamond stitch I'll need to sew a thin layer of open cell to the underside of the cover so there's always gonna be open cell right at the top anyway... In his how-to thread SirHiggyPop recommends adding some iron on waterproof seam tape to the underside of the stitches so maybe that'll do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    Electric carving knife is the way to go for cutting the foam but do take care with it as they also cut fingers/children/pets quite effectively too That's as far as I ever successfully reached with seat mods as I then discovered that getting the cover to fit neatly and look good proved to be way more difficult than I thought so I gave up and used a proper upholsterer-should have done that in the first place really as he wasn't even that expensive!
    Yeah I'm seriously not expecting the upholstery to be easy at all, but I've come this far doing almost everything myself. It may not be economical in the long run but I'm only going to the pro's if it seriously defeats me.
    And note taken, I will keep any electric carving knives away from fingers, pets and future children

i have reshaped my seats a few times really just to take the corners off or round it a little more, i have not got an electric carve knife but find an every day meat knife to work fine then i roll some sand paper round the wifes rolling pin to then sand/smooth/shape a bit more, maybe 80 grit to start with then 120 or similar to smooth off
    on standard triumph bases easy enough to use a staple gun but on the aftermarket and i think fibreglass 1s my staple gun wont go through so i use a contact adhesive and then drill some holes and rivet using washers too.
    20161227_162416.jpg
    20161227_154926.jpg
    20161229_221719.jpg

Try Pentonville Rubberhttp://www.pentonvillerubber.co.uk/foam.html
    I live in north London so I paid them a visit and got everything I needed but I'm sure they'll do mail order, they've been going for ages!
    I got some chip foam for the base and carved it with a cheap electric knife then stuck some denser furniture foam on top of that and once I was happy with the final shape I stuck some 3mm closed cell foam onto of the lot!!

I've got an upholstery shop near brands Hatch. Give me a shout if you need some help with seats