Thread: Benly bob

Liking the idea of bigger rims.

My HMC has an 18" front & 16" rear which I should have changed before I had them powdercoated.

The rear still bugs me but I'm reluctant to do anything about it at the mo as it's my only roadworthy bike.

Hi Gaz, only thinking of doing 19's cos ive got 2 lying around in the garage, the choice would have been 18's, but one more inch won't hurt (oo er). i'm going to have to think what colour this bikes going to be soon cos im thinking of painting the rims as the wheels are all apart then use the original hubs and lace them up and add the firestones. Probably find out they won't fit or look ridiculous but i like to do things a bit different.
    Gaz why don't you get yourself a spare 18" wheel do it up ready to bung on then sell your 16.

I would go with 18" they will fit nice without the welding gear coming out (whats an inch between friends!)

Spare wheels for the HMC are few & far between but come the winter I may start pulling things around a bit.
    In the meantime the sun is mostly out & so am I (being a fair weather biker only) !

I'm just finishing a cd250, found trying to get tyres for 17" rims a massive pain. Watching with interest mate.

Paul g stick some pics on here of your cd250 I'm interested to see mate.....
    The wheels have been a bit of a nightmare as the 17's are so skinny, so I'm getting new ones made and it's not as expensive as it sounds, it helps I have 2 rims already, they are 19" and 1.85 wide so will take 19 x 3.25 firestone or lots of other cool knobbly or road tyres.
    I found a place not to far, 2 dudes who have been building wheels for 40 years... I'm going to use the original hubs and they will cut out the spokes and respoke them to the 19s. So the wheels will fit straight on and be bigger and take better tyres... A new rim from them costs £50, spokes £50 and building is £45 per wheel.. I managed to get a set of 3.25x19 fitestones for a crazy cheap price as they've done about 40 miles and then were changed for knobblies so all in all not to expensive and so worth it for the look. I'm going to paint the rims before they are built but keep changing my mind on colours.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12