Thread: Ignition Coil smoking

Ignition Coil smoking

Hi guys,

I've been wiring my first new loom on my CG125 using the Motogadget M-Unit and yesterday I was testing the lights etc and the ignition coil started smoking.

I didn't have a ground for the wiring at the time which I know is probably the problem but I just wanted to get another opinion, my coil only has one wire coming from it which I have directly wired to the AUX output on the M-Unit (image below of the coil).

IMG_2179.jpg

If anyone has used this same coil with the M-Unit and have a different wire setup please let me know, am I missing a relay or something, I'm not sure, I am a complete beginner but other than the coil everything else looks perfect and I'm chuffed with the m-unit.

Thanks!
    Current Project: Honda CG125 Brazil Project

http://thebikeshed.cc/forums/threads...Brazil-Project

Evening,
    I have my own woes with trying to wire my first Motogadget unit on my Honda cb 550 bobber.

However, and following the mantra, "a little knowledge is dangerous " but with the aim of helping, are you using the motogadget unit with the M lock ?

Should the aux out not be going direct to the starter motor? Unless you are a kick only?

I know there are other dudes on here currently/previously fitted motor gadget units who can probably offer more advice.

But I do know smoking is not a good sign.
    Good luck

Sorry I should of added more info it's kick start only and it doesn't have the m-lock.

I was getting too excited and jumping straight into testing the lights horn etc. The unit is currently placed in a cardboard mockup box under the seat whilst I've got a welder making the real deal, that's why it wasn't properly grounded.

I'm going to turn on the electrics whilst properly ground tomorrow and that should narrow the cause.

Thanks

Sounds like you'll be needing this:
    Smokekit2.jpg

But seriously, shouldn't that wire be connected to the contact breaker - rather than hard wired to power?
    I think you'll find that this is your problem, and the reason your coil overheated and released the special smoke. Time for a new coil, methinks.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

Smokekit2.jpg

that jar cracks me up every time
    If you don't learn from your mistakes then they are just mistakes