Thread: Sloping top clamp

Results 1 to 9 of 9

  1. #1

    Sloping top clamp

    Hello all,

    Just working on a few odds and end in auto CAD, what does everyone make of these for a GSXR top clamp? they are already set up on the yamaha TR1 was just having a play about with a stepped clamp. cant figure out if i like it.

    Screen Shot 2017-08-09 at 15.49.54.jpg

  2. #2
    Senior Member wisp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    waltham x cheshunt.
    Posts
    188
    very cool, i wish had toys like that.

  3. #3
    Hmmmm, nice but I think it may be one of those things where you have to see it "in the flesh" to decide.
    Nice work tho.

  4. #4
    Looks pretty cool to me mate If you go ahead and make them though remember to check you have the right amount of trail when it's all together-I learnt this through a mate's bitter experience when he fitted a different top yoke for one that looked better but he ended up with a bike with lethal handling that got more lethal the faster you went

  5. #5
    looks cool. You might want to have a think about the lateral stiffness of the fork mount though, as you're not clamping straight across it.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    Looks pretty cool to me mate If you go ahead and make them though remember to check you have the right amount of trail when it's all together-I learnt this through a mate's bitter experience when he fitted a different top yoke for one that looked better but he ended up with a bike with lethal handling that got more lethal the faster you went
    How did he manage to alter the trail by just changing the top yoke ? The hole centres would have to be the same for it to fit.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedog59 View Post
    How did he manage to alter the trail by just changing the top yoke ? The hole centres would have to be the same for it to fit.
    Basically he made them fit by taking bodging to a whole new level! The bottom yoke was steel and the distance between the stem and the centreline of the legs was greater than the top yoke he'd found so he'd heated the steel bottom yoke and bent it until the fork legs were roughly in line to match the new top yoke. the top yoke being aluminium wouldn't bend but was relatively easy to file so using the biggest roughest file he had he'd elongated the holes so that the fork legs would go in!!!! Obviously nothing clamped up properly which really added to the problem as well but the end result was a bloody deathtrap and the numerous hammer scars that could be seen on the bike showed just how much of it was bodged together When he was building it apparently he was bragging in the pub about his brilliant idea to use two odd yokes as it had saved him having to pay anyone to rake the frame to suit the longer forks he'd found!

  8. #8
    !!!!!!!!!!
    Please post a name and picture for the numpty so we can all avoid buying/riding/touching anything he's been near.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedog59 View Post
    !!!!!!!!!!
    Please post a name and picture for the numpty so we can all avoid buying/riding/touching anything he's been near.
    His name was Duncan and fortunately he seems to have dropped out of the bike scene altogether