Hey emsee Yeah I've tried ever setting from all the way in to just about falling out and still have the throttle problem which leads me to believe it's jet sizes that's the issue. I need to get a seat on it so I can take it for a spin and see if it's actually an issue with the ride. If not I might just leave it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bevlak View Post
    Hey emsee Yeah I've tried ever setting from all the way in to just about falling out and still have the throttle problem which leads me to believe it's jet sizes that's the issue. I need to get a seat on it so I can take it for a spin and see if it's actually an issue with the ride. If not I might just leave it!
    Ok. Just a thought though.... take the air/fuel mixture screw all the way out and check the point. It has been known that, if screwed down too hard, the point can break off and block the hole. No amount of adjustment would have any effect if this is the case. Worth checking.
    Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.

I'm presuming you've swapped the airbox for a pod filter and not changed any jets, it's running weak.
    I would start by going up 3 or 4 sizes on the main jet,rise the needle one groove from standard, set the airscrew at about 2 1/2 turns out and then report back how it runs.
    I don't know if it's your exhaust but that engine sounds a bit loud.

ive tried upping the jet sizes but soon as i do im getting flooding and its much harder to start - its got all the signs of running lean, (loss of power, a little loud, a little hot) but also a lot of the signs of running rich (sooty plugs, bogging down etc) im super confused about it at the moment! thinking its maybe the timing?

hey, i think the best would be put the factory jets in, ride with the air cone, see if its rich lean/ by checking the spark plug after like a 15 min ride. im not sure that the cone changes that much to where you need to change the jets. i have an older cg, and i have always had to ease on the gas a bit, if you go wide open it just wont tick up.

keep us posted

Bevlak, have you checked the float height ? If the fuel level is too low in the bowl the engine may struggle to lift ny fuel through the bigger jet and when it does create enough vacuum the bigger jet drowns it (by "flooding" I'm presuming you mean flooding the engine and not fuel leaking from the carb). I would suggest you take the carb off and totally strip and clean it, use plenty of carb cleaner and and an airline if you can access on. Be careful not to blow the carb cleaner into your eyes when you use the air line.
    Inspect everything for wear or damage and replace as required the reassemble with the stock factory settings.
    Now, at this point I would still suggest going up from stock on the main jet. We do not know if your filter is more or less restrictive than the stock set up but wasted time swapping jets is better than wsted money on engine damage. Richer is safer and you can always come down on the jet size.
    Next, check you valve timing and tappet adjustment, check your ignition timing,plug grade and gap, your plug cap and its fitting to the HT lead and the condition of the lead. Do you get a nice strong spark when you test it ?
    Finally, check any fuel filters including the one on the tap inside the tank.
    All this work has now put you on the best footing to sort the problem.
    Google up on how to do a four stroke "plug chop" and throttle position in relation to fuel system being used and go out and test it. Find a quiet road and try and do exactly the same each time, maybe take a notepad and pen to record the results as you go. If you can take some tools and adjust at the roadside so much the better.
    Speedingmotorcycle, If you have to "roll on" the throttle I would suggest it's weak in the mid range, try raising the needle 1 groove (move the clip 1 groove lower ).
    Get back to us with how you get on.

like a few people have said above... have you cleaned the carbs etc? I assunm you have. Have you checked the needle jet valve? Can it move freely? I don't have any other advice apart from what's been said so good luck, I'm sure it will be something simple 👍🏻

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog59 View Post
    Bevlak, have you checked the float height ? If the fuel level is too low in the bowl the engine may struggle to lift ny fuel through the bigger jet and when it does create enough vacuum the bigger jet drowns it (by "flooding" I'm presuming you mean flooding the engine and not fuel leaking from the carb). I would suggest you take the carb off and totally strip and clean it, use plenty of carb cleaner and and an airline if you can access on. Be careful not to blow the carb cleaner into your eyes when you use the air line.
    Inspect everything for wear or damage and replace as required the reassemble with the stock factory settings.
    Now, at this point I would still suggest going up from stock on the main jet. We do not know if your filter is more or less restrictive than the stock set up but wasted time swapping jets is better than wsted money on engine damage. Richer is safer and you can always come down on the jet size.
    Next, check you valve timing and tappet adjustment, check your ignition timing,plug grade and gap, your plug cap and its fitting to the HT lead and the condition of the lead. Do you get a nice strong spark when you test it ?
    Finally, check any fuel filters including the one on the tap inside the tank.
    All this work has now put you on the best footing to sort the problem.
    Google up on how to do a four stroke "plug chop" and throttle position in relation to fuel system being used and go out and test it. Find a quiet road and try and do exactly the same each time, maybe take a notepad and pen to record the results as you go. If you can take some tools and adjust at the roadside so much the better.
    Speedingmotorcycle, If you have to "roll on" the throttle I would suggest it's weak in the mid range, try raising the needle 1 groove (move the clip 1 groove lower ).
    Get back to us with how you get on.
    hey bluedog,

thanks for the advice! I've tried everything you've listed there (i spent a LOT of time on this forum reading about cg's trying to fix this!) so after all my problems with jetting, I did indeed go all back to stock and start again (carb has been cleaned and jets blown thru with compressed air so many times ive lost count haha) I think it maybe has to do with the ignition timing or possibly an electrical thing. Ignition coil wiring isnt in great condition so I'm gonna re-solder the bullet connector to be sure thats good and have bought a smaller battery for the build that should improve matters slightly. I might just be overreacting to all this however. The bikes sorn with no MOT or insurance so riding isnt easy, might have to sneak out at night

Actually, the only thing im not 100% on is setting the float height. It looks like it's at the correct 14mm listed in haynes but ill have another look at it. It got bent when i accidentally stepped on it in the shed so worth another look! will keep you posted, thanks for the feedback everyone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12