There’s nothing we love more that getting a great looking bike in our email inbox, and whether you’re a fulltime Pro-builder, up-and coming New Talent, Semi-pro or Shed builder, we need the same stuff to do a good feature story, so please read this before you send us your ramblings:
“People prefer great shots of an average bike to crap shots of a great bike. That’s just the way it is…”
BACKGROUND: Find a neutral background that doesn’t break up the lines of the bike.
AVOID (Unless you are a pro): Wide angle lenses, green grass, red brick, trees and hedges, strong light and dark shadows, your neighbor’s fence/car/caravan, your own shadow.
INCLUDE: Both sides of the bike, front & back, 3/4 angles, all from a distance. Then add close-ups of clocks, logos, etc.
SPACE: Leave space around the bike in your photos, as we may crop the pics to work better in online templates like Facebook or Twitter.
SIZING & SENDING YOUR PHOTOS:
We need 5-10 good quality images at 1400 pixels wide minimum, which is quite large, so DON’T EMAIL THEM, Please send by WeTransfer. It’s free, easy and you don’t have to register.
“Great photos are always worth a quick look, but it’s a great story that will inspire people to sit up and take notice, or bother to click LIKE or add a comment”
Tell us the human story as well as the story of the bike and build assuming the reader knows nothing, even if you’ve been featured before:
1. WHO ARE YOU?
- Where are you from?
- What do you do?
- Are you a pro/amateur/semi-pro/new-kid-on-the-block?
- What inspired you to start building bikes/this bike?
- How do we describe you? David, Big Dave, Davo, Dave-The-Bike, DaveMoto?
- Who else worked with you, are you a one-man operation or a team/group/mates, etc.
2. THE BIKE?
- What’s the donor bike, make, model, year?
- Where did it come from? Interesting find, or customer bike, ebay?
- What was your vision/design/plan/brief?
- What did you do to the bike – just the basics; but tell us all the cool stuff, clever ideas and upgrades?
- Any interesting challenges or mistakes?
- Any unique signature features?
- How would you describe the bike now? Brat/Cafe/Bobber/Scrambler/Tracker/Hyrbrid/Bratster/CafeBrat/Woteva?
- Tell us about the finish, logos, design?
- How does the bike ride?
- Are you happy? Is the customer happy?
- What will you do next?
KEEPING TRACK OF YOU
If you message us on Facebook as BIG DAVE, then email us your story from D’s-MOTOS, and then send pics by WeTransfer from your girlfriend’s E-mail account, we will definitely lose track of your story. Please help us join the dots by referencing your previous communication every time you get in touch.
We have now reached a point where we can’t feature every bike that is sent in. It’s mostly because we get too many bikes submitted every day, and there’s not enough of us to edit all the pics, write the copy and post up 5+ stories a day. But – The easier you make it for us, the faster we can write your story and the quicker it will get online.
We do always have a serious backlog, and we do sometimes have to prioritize regular contributors when they have a major press release, so, apologies in advance, but we will try to reply to everyone and we don’t mind being chased-up and reminded.
Now, get inspired by these Shed Builds.
Write a few lines about yourself, and then send it all to us at [email protected] and we’ll even clean up the pics for you in Photoshop, if they need it. (We post up pics at around 700 pixels wide)
Pete AKA Cutter’s Chicken Shack Ducati
So, what are you waiting for? Go borrow your mate’s posh camera, take some pics, and email them to us at [email protected]